Fashion Design is a collaborative effort between BINUS UNIVERSITY INTERNATIONAL and Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK. It aspires to become the best design school in the region. Indonesia and ASEAN is currently one of the fastest-growing regions in the world; and with that rapid growth, we see a need for skilled professionals who are able to solve problems through design.
To support effective teaching and learning activities, BINUS UNIVERSITY INTERNATIONAL provides excellent studio facilities, including garment production workrooms, a textile experiment room (batik, woven and knitting), computer labs, and a photographic studio.
The university collaborates with Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, not only to enhance the quality of BINUS UNIVERSITY INTERNATIONAL Fashion Design program, but also to provide a double-degree program.
Upon successfully completion of four years of study, graduates will obtain a Sarjana Desain (S.Ds.) and a Bachelor Degree of Fashion Design with Honours (BA-Hons).
To become an international product design program, providing a creative study environment in order to keep relevant with the changing needs of global industry and society.
- Prepare future creative leaders in the area of product design through innovation, with a combination of commercial feasibility.
- Provide graduates with entrepreneurial skill and professionalism towards global workplace.
- Develop local resources to improve the life quality of Indonesian and the international community.
The objectives of the Fashion Design program are:
- To provide graduates with contextual knowledge and technical skills in order to formulate fashion management solutions responsive to industry.
- To equip graduates with skills to utilize ICT applications and services required in the global fashion industry.
- To equip graduates with effective communication skills.
- To provide graduates with entrepreneurship skills and professional ethics to become socially aware and responsible fashion professionals.
- To enhance graduates’ capability in generating creative and innovative ideas within the fashion industry.
Upon successful completion of this four-year program, students are expected to be able to:
- Demonstrate and apply the understanding of theoretical design concepts, history, culture, and contemporary issues in fashion industry,
- Apply appropriate skills for ready-to-wear fashion production in pattern making, sewing, and fabric manipulation techniques while considering aspects of aesthetics, efficiency, and effectivenes,
- Utilise relevant information technology and communication tools in adherence to work needs,
- Apply ethical and professional values in fashion,
- Demonstrate skills for working collaboratively and communicating effectively,
- Apply concepts of management for business in fashion including the development of marketing and promotional strategies,
- Evaluate product quality in relation to consumer, ergonomical, and environmental perspectives,
- Identify problems in design and propose relevant, creative and innovative design solutions through research-based design approach.
Prospective Career of the Graduates
A wide range of career opportunities in the fashion industry is introduced in which students will be prepared throughout the four years of study. The integrated curriculum is designed and developed to support students in building on their technical and non-technical skills as well as engaging with industry.
The Fashion Design program provides an internship program for each student wherein the student may conduct real projects as a practical study within industrial contexts. The program develops the student’s ability to be involved in professional practices, and ethical and organizational responsibilities. Furthermore, the industrial internship program provides students with real experience in the workplace and teaches them to cope with the demands of the work environment. In addition, a series of study/field trips to visiting professionals and industries will be conducted to give good grounds for having a broad overview of the industry. These experiences support individual career aspirations and may provide social and professional networks.
The graduates of the Fashion Design program are expected to be ready as designers for medium to mass production and manufacture, in response to various market levels. The graduates are also prepared to work for design consultancies, fashion styling, media communication, textile design, and trend forecasting consultancies. BINUS UNIVERSITY INTERNATIONAL also provides career support for students by disseminating information on the latest job vacancies, internships, and workshops. This support service can be accessed from www.binuscareer.com.
- Sarjana Desain from BINUS UNIVERSITY and Bachelor of Fashion Design with Honours (BA-Hons) from Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK