February 15 , 2012 – February 17 , 2012
The second annual Asia Pacific Junior Achievement Company of the Year competition will take place in Jakarta, Indonesia, from February 15-17, 2012. Sixteen teams representing 11 countries are expected to compete in this business competition and learning experience. The competition is jointly organized by FedEx Express, the world’s largest express transportation company, and US-based JA Worldwide, the world’s largest organization dedicated to empowering young people to own their economic success through entrepreneurship, financial literacy and work-readiness education. Additional sponsorship and in kind support comes from Binus University Joseph Wibowo center for Advanced Learning, PT Prudential Indonesia Assurance, Newmont Mining, and The American Chamber of Commerce in Indonesia.
Teams will be participating from the following countries: China, Guam (a U.S. territory), Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Turkmenistan.
During the three-day program in Jakarta, student companies will be evaluated by a panel of judges comprised of entrepreneurs, academics, and representatives from the local business community. This will take place at the BINUS Joseph Wibowo Center for Advanced Learning on Thursday 16 February. The participating student companies will be on display at a trade fair exhibition at the City Walk Mall, which will be open to the public on Friday 17 February.
The judging panel includes:
- Mr. Ahmir ud Deen: Chief Finance Officer, PT Prudential Life Assurance
- Mr. Sonny Lambey: Director, PT Chartis Insurance Indonesia
- Mr. Daniel Thomson: Private Enterprise Officer, Economic Growth Office USAID/Indonesia
- Mr. Haryono Tjaharijadi: President Director, Bank Mayapada.
- Mr. Daniel L. Bellefleur: Policy Advisor, The American Chamber of Commerce in Indonesia
- Ms Josephine Satyono: Corporate Social Responsibility Consultant, PT Trakindo Utama
- Ms. Rhea Sianipar: Corporate Affairs Manager, Caterpillar Asia Pacific Division
- Mr. George Pramadono: Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Mr. Nanang Siswanto: Marketing Manager, PT Sierad Produce
- Mr. David Finneren: Corporate Citizenship Chairman, The American Chamber of Commerce in Indonesia.
The stages of competition are:
- Company report
- Oral presentation before an audience
- Trade booth display and interviews at the booth
- Interview with the judging panel
- 1-2 minute company video commercial
Eligibility is limited to student teams from Asia Pacific participating in JA Company Program during the 2011-2012 academic year. A total of 15 companies will be selected as finalists for the 2012 Asia Pacific JA Company of the Year Competition. Company representatives must be at least 15 years old and no more than 19 years old on December 31, 2010. Five company representatives will be allowed to represent his or her company at competition.
In addition to the JA Company of the Year Award, student companies will also be competing for the FedEx Access Award. This Award by FedEx rewards student companies who demonstrate the most potential to create jobs, grow small businesses, expand global development and improve the environment.
Winners of the JA Company of the Year Competition and the FedEx Access Award will be announced on February 17, 2012.
The competition celebrates the accomplishments of JA Company Program®students in the Asia Pacific region. During participation in the JA Company Program, students start and run their own businesses with support from volunteers from their local business community. They develop and market a product or service with the goal of realizing a profit for their shareholders. During the 2010-2011 school year, more than 380,000 students a year participated in this program globally.
Published at : Updated